Site Meter

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

some photos



more interviews yesterday. Overall the talk went pretty well. I think I actually explained our approach to intrabeam scattering somewhat clearly.

The first of these photos is of the booster accelerator. I think that there's actually two rings in the same tunnel, the booster and the anti-proton accumlator which stores the anti-protons. Anyway, its an impressive operation getting all these protons and anti-protons up to close to 1TeV to collide in the Tevatron.

The second picture is Wilson hall. I think it was designed by Robert Wilson, the first director of Fermilab. From the top floor you can see all the different accelerators.

One of the interesting questions I was asked yesterday was whether I really care about things like the ILC (International Linear Collider) and the LHC (Large Hadron Collider). Its a question I've thought about. The short answer is that I want to care about them, but I'm not sure I do. Maybe I'll write more about it sometime.

No comments: